List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Usability: chat window[Scanned]
From:       "Jason Keirstead" <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2004-04-18 18:50:36

On April 18, 2004 08:44 am, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le Dimanche 18 Avril 2004 09:31, William Leese a écrit :
> > So, apart from "it's what the style guide says" - which simply isn't
> > true, what other reasons are there not to have the toolbar directly
> > above the text input area?
>
> Because a KDE toolbar is not allowed to be docked in the middle of a
> window. That's simply technicaly not possible.

This isn't really true. You can add dock areas anywhere you want.

Depending on if the KDE menu bars use QT docking or KDE docking ( I am pretty
sure the toolbars use the QT docking built into QMainWindow ) you could add a
dock area using QDockArea to KDockWidget to add a dock area.

Assuming I am right on the Qt docking we *could* add a QDockArea directly
above below the slider in theory. I don't really support this though, IMO it
is unneeded.

Note WIlliam that you are perfectly free to create your own chat window,
Kopete's API makes it easy to plug new views in for the chat window, and it
will probably be even easier in the future. There are already two such views.

--
Jason Keirstead
http://www.keirstead.org