List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Usability: chat window
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2004-04-18 9:31:46

Stefan Gehn wrote:
> On Sonntag April 18 2004 00:04, William Leese wrote:
>
>>So enough ranting. I'd like to discuss the choice of putting the format
>>toolbar directly above the text input field.
>
> No, you are at least one year too late to discuss this. We follow the KDE
> UI-guidelines as much as we can, abusing toolbars is not the way to go.

- "The guidelines in this style guide are only suggestions - they are
not set in stone. It is the application designer's duty to create a
decent interface. Following rules will not do that, but common sense will. "

- "These guidelines are aimed at a typical application consisting of a
menubar, toolbar, working area and statusbar." (Kopete has a view AND
working area, so it's doesn't fit the assumptions made in the style guide)

So, apart from "it's what the style guide says" - which simply isn't
true, what other reasons are there not to have the toolbar directly
above the text input area?

>>- Each and every other IM client seems to do this
>
> Just because every other client does it wrong doesn't mean we have to do it
> wrong too.

If everyone breaks the rules, then there must be something wrong with
them, right? ;)

 > Hint: If you want your editing stuff near the edit area then move
that toolbar
 > to the bottom border of your chatwindows.

This makes even less sense because having it at the bottom doesn't imply
association with *any* of the two views.

   -- William