List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Rewrite of Oscar
From:       Jeff Stuart <jstuart () computer-city ! net>
Date:       2004-01-29 14:32:05

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 01:53 pm, Stefan Gehn wrote:
> On Mittwoch Januar 28 2004 18:40, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 January 2004 03:40, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > > Stefan, Penna, and I are going to be rewriting the oscar protocol in
> > > the oscar_rewrite branch. the oscar_refactor branch is now gone having
> > > been superceded by oscar_rewrite. Use HEAD if you want a working oscar.
> >
> > *sigh*
> >
> > Any chance of using libfaim or any other existing code instead? Rewrites
>
> I'm not going to use a fucking C-lib and write a wrapper for it just to get
> lost when we have a bug in there.
>
> > are such a massive waste of our limited resources I don't like this
> > thought at all. While I agree that it's perhaps the cleanest we just
> > don't have the manpower for it.
>
> And you have no damn clue what you're talking about!
> Thanks for your backing (not) :P

*sigh* and NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome strikes yet again.  Did any of the
three of you even BOTHER sit down for 5 minutes and consider possible pros
and cons?  If you did, then please ignore this comment and I'll just slink
back under my rock.

However, if you haven't, just sit down for 5 minutes, consider if maybe USING
libfaim is a good idea or not.  And FYI, I would STRONGLY suggest NOT
considering the language of it for the moment.  IE look at it in a language
agnostic way.

In my 34 years of life (and 22 years experience in computers) one thing I HAVE
learned is to NEVER discount any CRAZY idea.  It's never a waste of time to
consider what on the face of it appears to be stupid and crazy.  It MAY just
turn out to be the next "killer" idea.  Time spent looking at a crazy idea
(so long as it's not days/weeks) is NEVER wasted.

P.S.
	Can we please try and watch the language?  It does NOT present a professional
image of you.

--
Jeff Stuart
jstuart@computer-city.net