List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Remove group by metacontact
From:       Will Stephenson <lists () stevello ! free-online ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-11-04 20:44:21

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 19:18, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On November 04, 2003 3:05 pm, Ladislav Strojil wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 of November 2003 18:58, Will Stephenson wrote:
> > > I suggest that we remove the 'group by account' option too - it
> > > contradicts our vision of an integrated messenger, and a messenger
> > > where the actual IM protocol used is not significant.
> >
> > Well, but account!=protocol. This is not about protocol, it's about
> > account. Group by account is very usefull for me because I have two ICQ
> > accounts, one for bussines, one for my personal contacts.
>
> I agree with Lad here, it was never my intention to even consider removing
> group by account. I personally use this option and I also personally know
> others at work who do too, so it is hardly an unused feature. Integrated or
> not, people like to have stuff like all MSN in one window and all ICQ in
> another.

Sure, but scratch a little deeper and find out why they like to do that.

> > > Those who want this are just using
> > > Kopete to emulate separate messaging clients.
>
> Going to copy my reply to Lori for this one....
>
> This is not at all true, this implies that the only benefit to having a
> unified IM is so that you can group windows! If that is the only reason you
> are using Kopete, then just switch to Fluxbox or a tabbed window manager.
> Kopete has a myrid of benefits from being unified, window grouping is not
> even a primary component of this.

And we can leverage these benefits, and keep UI simple, by making the grouping
criteria user defineable.  If the user puts contacts in their choice of
groups, even nested (thanks Lada) and then set a flag on a group 'Members of
this group chat in tabs in one window' (that maybe clears that flag for any
child groups), then you can achieve the same effect and reduce the configure
dialog options to a single toggle 'Group chats according to KopeteGroup
grouping preferences'.

The guys at work can even segregate their MSN and ICQ users into MSN and ICQ
groups and achieve the same effect as before.

Would this meet people's needs?

Will
--
Will Stephenson