List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: kdenetwork/kopete/styles
From:       Ladislav Strojil <Ladislav.Strojil () seznam ! cz>
Date:       2003-10-21 16:04:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 21 of October 2003 17:52, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> Here is why this breaks:
<SNIPPED NICE EXAMPLE>
> That is only the first thing broken now. Also, nick completion is now
> useless, since it operates on contact display names, and you don't have the
> contact names anywhere in the chat so how do you know them? You can't even
> look for them in the group list because it shows the contact display names
> as well.
>
> Either EVERYTHING has to use contact display names, or NOTHING can. It's
> that simple. And we cant use MetaContact names everywhere since that makes
> group chatting immensely retarded. So we need to use contact display names
> everywhere.

Yes, that's a valid point. But I don't really like when I click on "Standa
Živný" and then see that I am talking to "puk". I don't care he is called
"puk" on ICQ.
I have my friend associated with his name and I don't want to sometimes it and
sometimes his ICQ nickname. If I wanted him to show as "puk" I would have
named the metacontact so.

Nick completion can be fixed, that's not a valid argument here.

And since you can't make other clients use your metacontact names, the option
that everything has to use metacontac names is not a valid one either. So by
your reasoning nothing can. Not even Kopete. Remove metacontacts then. :-))

Ok, here's my take at this... use metacontact names on single chats, contact
in group chats. And I don't give a damn about group chats so I would be
satisfied. :-)))

Or make it an option. I don't really care but I want to see as little nicks as
possible in my Kopete.

Cheers,
Láďa

--