List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] IM and MSN ? Forget it![Scanned]
From:       Sigþór_Jarðarson
Date:       2003-09-30 23:31:20

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 16:55, Zoup wrote:
> so developer is a sensitive thing

It was a joke.

> but we all care about our community of open source , its could be great if
> we can make jabber powerful ( and jabber support in kopete ) enough to
> people use it , so in time , other non-standard and non-open protocol's
> will be replaced by jabber ! :)

While I tend to agree that Jabber is the probably the best available protocol
out there, it is also the least popular.  Try talking somebody into switching
from MSN to Jabber (I do this fairly often).  They will throw up their hands
at the complexity of the system ("How am I supposed to know what server to
use?", "What Windows client is as easy as MSN?", etc.) and stay with MSN most
of the time.  Or they might say "I would use it, but most of my friends
aren't as computer-savvy so they're going to stay with just MSN and I want to
talk to them".  For example, the most popular IM protocol in Iceland is MSN.
Whether or not I like it, most of my Icelandic friends aren't going to use
something else at the moment.  So I very much appreciate the ability to talk
to them via MSN as well as my Jabber, AIM, ICQ, IRC, and Yahoo (and maybe
even Gadu soon) contacts.

Besides, Kopete has great support for Jabber.  Groupchat and probably some
other features needs some work, but I've never had any problems chatting with
my Jabber contacts.

If you want a Jabber-only client, there are plenty out there.  That is not
what Kopete is, though you may use it only for Jabber if you choose.

> like IM !! :)

You "have drop a Yahoo !" again.

> note : slashdot says some of client now , are able to connect to yahoo and
> msn , i try it with kopete with no result ...

But you say it shouldn't be fixed.  You're contradicting yourself.  Yahoo will
probably work in the next release of Kopete.  Please read the FAQ.  MSN works
fine.

--
Sigþór Jarðarson
cshobe@somerandomdomain.com