List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Fwd: Re: kopete compile error (0.7.1 and CVS)
From:       Will Stephenson <william.stephenson () ncl ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2003-09-10 13:18:16

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 13:10, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 September 2003 12:30, Will Stephenson wrote:
> > .libs/kopetecontact.o(.text+0x2495): In function
`KopeteContact::execute()':
> > : undefined reference to `KopetePrefs::prefs()'
>
> Linking against an old libkopete.so instead of the new one?
>
> > kopeteprefs.o is not present(ie. not compiled). Any ideas why?
>
> It's present, it's called kopeteprefs.lo (libtool object). Files to become
> part of a shared object are libtoolized and not called .o.

And I thought I knew nothing about the way linkers work!  I had believed that,
but noticed that kopeteprefs.lo is only 88 bytes and I don't believe gcc 3.3
is that efficient - so I got curious:

n9715321@sneer:~/projects/kde/build/kdenetwork/kopete/libkopete/private> cat
kopeteprefs.lo
# Generated by libtool replacement
pic_object='.libs/kopeteprefs.o'
non_pic_object=none

I still don't know how it works, but I've got .libs/kopeteprefs.o full of
object code, so I expect Andreas should have as well.

Will

--
Will Stephenson
IRC: Bille