List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Maintaining BC
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-08-30 20:32:30

On Saturday 30 August 2003 20:48, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> I never did api before, libkopete is the first api I maintain, and even the
> first real program i do. So I don't know what is good API or not, I can
> judge only by comparing with the kdelibs or QT api, or the old one.

The point is that the actual changes towards BC aren't that hard to make once
you know what to do. Implementing a new API isn't hard either.

The difficult part, that takes time, thought, experience and again TIME is
getting an API to stabilize and mature. Go over each method. Look at it.
Compare it with API docs. Apply unit tests on them. Check code for awkward
algorithms that are in need of refactoring, etc.

This is the reason why I dare saying that it is completely impossible to have
a proper BC API that is not only BC but also maintainable and sustaible
within 6 months.

We have a quite nice API now, but it still has issues. Some of them known,
some deeply hidden behind the lack of attention. Before declaring libkopete
BC we need to look at and address all these issues. This takes time.

--
Martijn