From kopete-devel Fri Aug 15 16:09:25 2003 From: Jason Keirstead Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:09:25 +0000 To: kopete-devel Subject: Re: [Kopete-devel] Article about kopete X-MARC-Message: https://marc.info/?l=kopete-devel&m=106096386427629 MIME-Version: 1 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--Boundary-00=_1WQP/W0SxYavhIi" --Boundary-00=_1WQP/W0SxYavhIi Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-15" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline On August 14, 2003 08:27 am, Alejandro Exojo wrote: > Hi. > > After using kopete for a while, I decided to write an article about it. I > wrote it in spanish, and also tried an english translation. The translation > is not as good as I wanted to be, but maybe someone wants to review it, and > correct some mistakes. > > The article in english: > http://www.badopi.org/node.php?id=181 > And in spanish: > http://es.kde.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=129 > > If you want the HTML source (for feedback, etc.) you can get it from here: > http://lacurva.net/articulos/kopete07.en.html > http://lacurva.net/articulos/kopete07.html Hello. I attached a cleaned-up English translation I did quickly. All I did was make it a bit more coherent, I did not fix the mistake sin what you said. But a few comments on these: - You make a pont that Instant Messaging is different from IRC. In reality it is not, IRC is just another instant messaging protocol. This is especially apparant in Kopete, where there is no visbile difference between an IRC chat and any other group chat, and no difference between an IRC query and any other instant message. - You say that you can only connect to one IRC server at a time, which is not true. Kopete 0.7 lets you add as many IRC accounts as you want. I am connected to three servers right now! - The Return key does not send the message by default for several reasons: - CTRL+Enter is the KDE default for sending a message, as shown in KMail and KNode - Many people like to compose multi line messages, which is much easier with Enter as newline - There are just as many protocols whose native clients use Enter as newline ( ICQ, Yahoo, some Jabber clients ) as use it to send (IRC, MSN ), so there is no reason Enter should be favoured. - The XSL stylesheets aren't really meant for the user to edit, except for advanced users. Most users should use the Import button, which lets you import a .xsl file directly. Plans are in place to place some styles on the Kopete site for import. -- Jason Keirstead, BCS http://www.keirstead.org --Boundary-00=_1WQP/W0SxYavhIi Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-15"; name="kopete07.en.html" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="kopete07.en.html" Kopete: instant messaging for KDE

Through KDE hispano, and thanks to Pe= dro Jurado, I was made aware of Kopete's 0.7 release.

After playing with it for a few days, I decided to write a few lines abo= ut this software. This is a translation of an article in Spanish. I hope yo= u can forgive me for my poor English ;-).

Hay una versi=F3n en castellano del art=EDculo en KDE Hispano, i una altra versi= =F3 en catal=E0 a Bulma

Instant Messaging

When we hear these words, we think of a protocol that allows a client (a= user) to receive chat-like messages (not longer messages as in emails), ne= arly instantaneusly.

The difference, when compared to IRC, is that you will not receive messa= ges from "anyone" (e.g., someone connected to the same IRC channel as you),= rather, you normally communicate only (at first) with those people that yo= u have in your contact list.

There are a lot of IM (Instant Messaging) protocols. A very popular one,= mainly because it was the first, is ICQ (`= I Seek You`). Recently others have started to appear that are actually much= more popular, like America Online's one, A= IM, which is not very known here (writer lives in Barcelona), but seems very popular = in the US. As far as I know, here and in latin-america, the most popular is= MSN, which unfortunately, is the= not very love= d company's protocol.

As Carles has written= (article in catalan), Jabber, is a = standard protocol for Instant Messaging. This means that t= he protocol is a common protocol such as HTTP, FTP= , or IMAP. The most visible advantadge with Jabber is the ability of using wha= tever program we prefer to use the protocol (the same as we can choose the = browser that we prefer, or the email client that we most like).

In free software, we also have freedom of choice. For example, even when= only using MSN, we could use Alva= ro's Messenger, kmess, km= erlin, msn4lin, and others. Along that note, some projects started to inclu= de in their features support for more than one protocol. So, we now have GAIM, a very popular client for = communicating with everyone, in a Universal Messanging System (article in spanish), or= Kopete, which I will describe.

Features of kopete 0.7

Unfortunately, Kopete is not perfect, but many people are working on it :-). The = IRC plugin needs to be improved, because it only allows you to connect to o= ne server, and fankly, it needs to correct its behaviour a bit. Some detail= s are a bit odd, for example, when pressing return, you start a = new line, instead of sending the written message. It can be changed in your= shortcuts very easily, but this is something a newbie is not going to find= =2E There are also a lot of bugs.

The appearance of message windows is very customizable, but it is done i= n XSL (eXtensible Stylesheet L= anguage), a very powerful and standard language, but it is not very popular= , and it is not specially easy.

Definitively, Kopete is starting to be a mature application that, once r= eleased with KDE, will be its default instant messaging application. If you= still have some doubts, look at the screenshots.

--Boundary-00=_1WQP/W0SxYavhIi Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline _______________________________________________ Kopete-devel mailing list Kopete-devel@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kopete-devel --Boundary-00=_1WQP/W0SxYavhIi--