List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] API for reserving certain group-names
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () tiscalinet ! be>
Date:       2003-08-15 15:49:31

Le Vendredi 15 Août 2003 16:08, Stefan Gehn a écrit :
> Moin,
>
> I'm just thinking about how to handle ICQ-contacts that we don't have been
> authorized by yet. I'd like to do it like in original ICQ by putting them
> into a group named "Awaiting Authorization" (or "Waiting for
> Authorization", forgot the exact name).
> For this to work the best I'd like to have some API to either reserve
> certain group-names as "system-only" or have another way of adding a group
> with a special flag for that.
> The "Temporary Contacts" group falls into the same category, I'm not sure
> how that one is handled though.
>
> What do others think about such an API or is there an even better way of
> handling all this?

I fully agree...
When i made the KopeteGroup API, it was my idea.
That was the objective of KopeteGroup::type() which originaly was able to be
Classical, or Special.
But we decided to changes Special to "top-level" and "temporary" just because
we just saw only 2 example of special groups.

Now, i am not again to use Classical and Special like it was originaly
designed.

now the problem is:
How to make a differences between different special groups?
Originaly in mine brain, it was the DisplayName, "temporaryGroup" or
QString::null  for the temporary group or the top-level one. The i18n caption
is set latter. But it is not verry good desing.

Maybe we can just add a Special type without removing other type.
The ICQ plugin can use the PluginData on this group to mark it is the "waiting
for authorization" group.  the problem is that other plugins can't have this
group.

I come back to my idea of GroupId. wee need it to have an unique id for groups
(the displayName may not be unique)
My idea was to set the idea the displayname, and if there are several group
with the same name, add a ~1 suffix,  like windows95 do on FAT16 drive.
You can add a keyword here for special group ("top-level" , "temporary" ,  or
what other plugin wants)
The ID is now a numeric identifier simply because Martijn say that it may
confuse the user who edit manualy the contactlist.xml to see such as
identifier.