List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Kopete suggestions
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-29 17:43:10

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 17:26, Till Gerken wrote:
> > - My .~/xsession-errors file overflows with kopete debug messages,
> > despite the fact that I do nothing to turn on any debugging.  Is there a
> > flag that I can set to reduce the debug level?
>
> Not sure if this can be entirely turned off by compiling without any debug
> code enabled, but you can launch kdebugdialog --fullmode and turn off
> debugging messages for Kopete.

Passing '--disable-debug' to configure turns off all kdDebug() calls, as well
as removing all symbol information from the object files.

From a developer point of view a total disaster of course, we encourage the
opposite, using --enable-debug=full, instead, but for everyday work I agree
that the debug info can be a pain.

Like Till said you can disable the appropriate debug areas, but I'm a bit
worried about the 0.6.x case. I'm afraid we used the 'raw' kdDebug there
without an explicit area. IIRC the change to use custom areas went in after
0.6. You can change the kopete .desktop file to send stderr to /dev/null of
course for now.

In about a week we hope to have 0.7 out of the door (*crosses fingers*), from
then on you can configure the areas in kdebugdialog. This allows you to use
'--enable-debug=full' for more useful backtraces in case of crashes, the flag
we most like from our users ;-)

--
Martijn