List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Address book integration
From:       Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <duncan () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-10 15:31:43

El Thursday 10 July 2003 05:14, Will Stephenson escribió:
> Hi Duncan
>
> I see from IRC and a couple of commits that you're making moves towards
> integration/linking with the main KDE addressbook.  I'd be interested to
> know what the plan is, things that I wonder about are:

what I did was just "cleaning up the road", making the ids compatible, I don't
plan to make intrusive changes before we release 0.7, but I have spent lot of
time learning and playing with the addressbook.

> - relationship between Kopete structures and kabc.  I'm guessing
> metacontacts in Kopete <-> kabc entries?

yes, the idea is you select a KABC contact for each metacontact, or viceversa,
you create a kabc contact from a metacontact. That way Kopete can retrieve
the picture for each metacontact, and protocols can use the metacontact to
publish it, or viceversa, you can get picture from your protocol contact, and
it will be saved on your adressbook contact. I already test code to do that
and it is very simple.

> - 2 way integration, for linked records, will we both update kabc as
> metacontact contents change and react if kabc's IM address entries are
> changed outside of Kopete?

You don't need to be syncing info all the time, once you have the id linked,
you use the kabc to directly get all info you aren't storing in the contact
list. The only thing you can sync are the adressbook field Martijn introduced
so you can store your friends IM ids in the adressbook.

> - contact metadata - we were talking last night about how to store buddy
> icons in kabc, and we should also have a policy for relating IM obtained
kabc already support pictures, you can't edit them in 3.1 but it is supported
in the API, in 3.2 (or HEAD) you can select it from the kabc frontend, and
believe me it is very nice and fast to look contacts using pics.

Cheers
Duncan