List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: Contact/MetaContact renaming schemes
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () tiscalinet ! be>
Date:       2003-05-24 8:22:13

Le Vendredi 23 Mai 2003 19:06, Richard Smith a écrit :
> IMO syncing should never be automatic. I think when you create a new
> account, you should be given the option of downloading all the serverside
> contacts, and there should be a syncronisation dialog for resolving
> differences between your clientside list and the serverside list. I don't
> think Kopete should ever magically create clientside metacontacts for
> people I haven't asked it to.

I disagree.

> I understand that some protocols may require you to have a contact on the
> server-side to send and receive messages successfully. I wouldn't object to
> Kopete adding these to the serverside list automatically, possibly in group
> 'Kopete-created Contacts' or something.

ridicoulous.
example, MSN, the the kopete's contactlist HAS to be equal to the serverside
one, if not, yoiu don't get online notifications.

Also, the kopete contactlist should looks like the contactlist when i am on
another client.

> But I do strongly feel that my
> clientside contact list should be mine to arrange how I want it, and should
> be as decoupled from the serverside list as is possible.

and me, i consider than if i have (for a reason or another) use another
client, i want to have the same contactlist (that's why server-side
contactlists exist)

if you don't like this, we can imagine an option. but i think it will be
difficult.

> It certainly shouldn't be difficult for the protocols to detect when a new
> contact has been added to your serverside contact list (they do this
> already, I believe)

yes

> and in this case, it would seem reasonable for Kopete
> to ask you if you want to create a new metacontact, or add the user to the
> existing one, or take no action.

maybe yes
but that is complicate, if i import my contactlist, that mean 120 contacts, i
don't want to press 120 times on import.
and it is easy to change a contact to another m:etacontact after. (or delete
it)

concerning the renaming contact probleme, i see reason for, and reason again.
PRO: then, the contactlist in other clients looks more like my kopete
contactlist
AGAIN: we lost to know what the user set as displayname.

also again, the MSN example, if i go online with the msn official client, it
will erase the metacontactname with the real one for every online contact.
now, this can be optional.

in fact, i see tree different state:
the m_trackChildDisplayname=true solution,
this topic (renaming childcontact when the matacontact change)
and the actual soluition (almost never sync).

personaly, i like the current one. i can set the real name as the metacontact
name, and then i see to who i am talking, and the contact displayname, i see
it in my chatwindow, and i am able to know it.

poeple can like the tracking child contact changes. the kopetecontactlist
looks again like the server one, and the one in other client.

then, we need an option: default syncing dysplayname:
[ ] sync metacontact name from the contact one
[ ] sync contact name from the metacontact one
[ ] no default syncing.

if the m_trackChildNameChange is set to true and if we rename manualy the
metacontact, it will be set to false automaticaly.
but in this case, we need a ew checkbox action in the metacontact's
contextmenu: "use the contact displayname"

personaly, i liked the metz code with saving m_trackChildContactName, even if
there are not anymore GUI. mainly just because that make no sense to don't
follow if i haven't set myself a correct name.