List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: cant compile 6.2 on kde3.1.1 on RedHat 9
From:       Jef Oliver <jef () jeago ! com>
Date:       2003-05-10 10:17:31

On Saturday 10 May 2003 03:48 am, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 03:38:18AM -0600, Jef Oliver wrote:
> > It appears that when Kopete compiles, it links against libkdecore.  It
> > also links against several other libkde*, which in turn also link against
> > libkdecore.  Now, after reading through libkdecore.la, the linker flags
> > contain the following.
> >
> > -L/usr/lib/libart_lbpl
>
> I suppose this isn't entirely insane, given how popular I hope SVG will
> become ...
>
> Did I mention that libtool needs to die die die? :)

After doing some reading around (google), it does appear that configure does
indeed pull the linker flags out of the *.la file.  In every *.la file, there
is a section "dependency_libs" that contains the proper linker flags.

Kopete compiles against libkdeui using -lkdeui.  On my system (Slackware), I
ran the configure script with libart_lgpl installed, and libkdeui.la
unedited.  I then ran the configure script again with libart_lgpl removed,
and naturally, I got the error saying libart needed to be installed.  I then
reinstalled, but I edited my libekdeui.la.

The part of "dependency_libs" I edited was
/usr/lib/libart_lgpl_2.l

that is not a 1 (one) at the end, that is actually a .l (el).  Libtool instead
of looking for a .so file, will look for a *.la file associated with libart.
I found this file on my system in /usr/lib.  Anyway, back to the subject

I changed the /usr/lib/libart_lgpl_2.l line to just a -lart_lgpl_2 so it would
look for the associated *.so file.  I ran configure again here, and received
a successful configure.  I then returned the line back to normal.  I also
moved libart_lgpl_2.la in /usr/lib to a *.bak file.  I then ran configure
again.  This time, I received a failure stating I needed to install libart.

I searched through the entire configure script, and associated files, and
found no definite tests to link against libart.  However, there are tests to
make sure kdeui is there, and configure does pull the libtool flags from the
libkdeui.la file.

So, as it seems, this is not a bug to do with compiling kopete on redhat.  It
is a problem with the redhat default kde install does not include libart.
Once again, this may not be 100% accurate, but it sure seems to be close to
something.  Hope this helps,

Jef