List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Making 2 protocols for icq and aim
From:       Christopher TenHarmsel <tenharmsel () staticmethod ! net>
Date:       2003-04-02 15:10:35

On Wednesday 02 April 2003 09:40, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
> Today, trying to make a custom icon for icq and aim, I discovered that tabs
> use KopetePlugin::protocolIcon() that calls LibraryLoader::pluginIcon() for
> a given plugin, and that retuns the icon found in the desktop file. bad
> bad. No per account icon.
>
> What Gof suggestedis to make 2 protocols that inherit from OscarProtocol,
> each one having its dekstop file and sharing all the code (accounts,
> engine, etc) that way they can have custom icons, custom addcontact and
> edit account widgets for icq and aim, and they will seems to act like ever,
> like 2 plugins.

I'll second this.  Where would these live then?  Would we maintain the
protocols/oscar directory and create subdirectories for each one or create
two more directories in protocols and maintain a seperate directory for the
base classes?

On a similar note (usability related to accounts) I've noticed that if you
have more than on account under the same protocol that it is very difficult
to tell which ones are online, offline, etc.   I propose we create one icon
in the status bar per _account_ or enable some sort of feedback as to their
current status in the protocol (current) icon context menu, perhaps through
the icon next to the account's name.

-Chris

--
Christopher TenHarmsel, KDE Developer