List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] KConfig vs XML - The saga continues...
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2003-03-30 18:31:25

On March 30, 2003 02:20 pm, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > But its not. All those things have nothing to do with the data.
>
> What according to your definition is a setting then?
>
> Selecting the GPG plugin apparently is not. Enabling it apparently is not.
> Selecting a language for translator apparently is not.

All these are settings.

> Seems like we can kick out half of the stuff from the "Configure Kopete"
> dialog and move it to a new "Set Kopete contact list attributes" dialog
> instead. You must be joking.

Eh???

> It's of a LOT of use in intranet environments where there is no possibility
> to ever fire up another client.

Intranets either have use their own IM server or the person could just modify the
account at home.

> Moreover, I don't think that all protocols all such control on the server.
> Does the ICQ intranet server support it? Does the Yahoo intranet solution
> do? Does an intranet Jabber server support it?

There are no intranet servers for any of these (except jabber), and as such placing
restrictions on their contact lists is POINTLESS because they can just go home
and modify them anyways, or go to http://go.icq.com and do it in the web browser!

> And how are you going to make use of a hierarchical storage if you data
> structure itself is as flat as a piece of paper? How can you EVER turn that
> into a flat hierarchical structure?

What? The object storing the data does not need to know how it is being stored.
If we abstract the contact list properly it *shouldn't matter* if it is being stored on
a piece of paper. Except that performance with that implementation woudl suck.

--
Jason Keirstead, BCS
http://www.keirstead.org