List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [Kopete-devel] Re: Development of Kopete, taking part
From:       Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <duncan () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-27 23:36:13

El Thursday 27 February 2003 18:56, escribió:
> Hiho!

Hello :-)

> I exchanged mails with Ralph Nolden (maintainer of kdenetwork I think), as
> I wanted to start (started) development of a KDE instant messenger
> (well...:)). I already tried to get into ickle development (GTK-ICQ-Client)
> a year ago but I didn't have enough time. So Ralph pointed into kopete's
> direction and told me: Why don't you take part there :).

Kopete is universal, pluggable, and extensible, so this is the right place

> Well first of all I checked out the CVS of kopete and began reading into
> the code, but I'd say it would be much more effective if you told me if you
> really need yet another developer in the first place and if this is the
> case, which parts of kopete need which work on which I should concentrate.

We always need more developers, Kopete will be moved to kdenetwork soon and we
need to focuse in stability, that means bugfixing.
The Kopete team is a nice place to work in, I recommend you subcribe to our
list kopete-devel@kde.org and join irc as often as you can (irc.kde.org
#kopete) Every work is coordinated through the list, and we always develop in
a open manner ( hey guys... I am doing this and this...) and people that work
in the same module, should have a even stronger communication, see
kopete.kde.org Development team section and you can see which developers work
on each section, currently te areas being worked are:

MSN, bugfixing, and group sync handling is b0rked, that is Olivier and
Martijns land
ICQ, mostly's Stefan Gehn land...
AIM, Nick Betcher and Chris land
Jabber: there is an aussie in #kopete, Daniel that does this dirty part,
together with Till Gerken
IRC: Nick and Jason K. land
Gadu: eerrrr.... Zack?

Core libs: Most work there is based on long discussions. That used to be (and
continue) me and Martijn's land, but new developers are contibuting every day
more to this zone, specially Olivier and Jason

You have the freedom to choose...

Also, to join the team, you should send a picture (see size in developers
page) and send a box of beer to my snail mail address (see Chile in
kde.org/contact.html) ;-)

Cheers
Duncan

- --