List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] New bug
From:       Will Stephenson <william.stephenson () ncl ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2003-01-31 17:18:25

On Friday 31 January 2003 16:31, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Friday 31 January 2003 16:52, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> > kopete: [void KopeteMetaContact::setDisplayName(const QString&)] Set new
> > contact name to , m_trackChildNameChanges=false
> > libkopete: [KopeteMetaContact] slotContactNameChanged(); IGNORED contact
> > namechange.
> > libkopete: WARNING: Ignoring attempt to add duplicate contact
> > xxx@hotmail.com!
>
> I have no idea where these 3 lines come from bu those are almost certainly
> the cause of the problem. I got similar output from someone else in private
> mail, will investigate tomorrow.

I've been looking at a possibly related issue.  Bart Verwilst noticed that,
when you use the MSN Messenger style chatwindow presentation, your own name
appears blank, eg.:

Verwilst says:
jump

 says:
how high ;)?

This mail is to check my understanding and a possible solution.

I think that MSNProtocol never sets the displayName for the local user, in
MSNProtocol::m_myself.  I stuck some printline for m_myself->displayName() in
MSNProtocol::slotPublicNameChanged() which calls MSNContact::rename() and the
displayName stays empty.

AFAICS we set our local name early on in the connect sequence when the server
tells us what it is. I looked at MSNContact::rename() and thought I could add
setDisplayName( newName ) there, but i've been IRCing with brunes (who has
another problem) and he thinks that you change the name on the server, then
when the server responds, you change your name locally.

This means calling changePublicName on the server, send a REA on the notify
socket, get a REA back, and change the name.  When we get the REA back, the
Notify socket emits publicNameChanged() which ends up at
MSNProtocol::slotPublicNameChanged() again, but m_myself->setDisplayName() is
never called.  Therefore I propose to insert this somewhere in the cycle.
I'm not sure whether this should be before or after we get the REA back from
the notify server.  I've tried the change in MSNContact::rename() (before
REA) and it seems to work but I have no insight into what this would do to
other contacts.

regards

Will

--