List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Couple of implementation questions for Yahoo
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-30 11:34:55

On Thursday 30 January 2003 09:45, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> Getting on with Yahoo.... Its mostly there already; just a matter of linking
> it up to the UI. I've tidied it up a bit, made connecting error proof (I
> think :) and implemented setting status. Hoping to do adding contacts this
> evening.

Great!

> Should kopete plugins support multiple logins to the same IM service?

Not yet. For the future I intend to split up KopeteProtocol into the real
protocol-specific parts and a new class KopeteIdentity (or KopeteAccount?)
which consists of a single IM account. Per protocol you can then have
multiple accounts. This is not for 0.6 though, maybe not even 0.7, though in
the past months I prepared most of the API to make this step finally possible
at all, so it shouldn't be too hard anymore.

> Yahoo file transfer is different from other IM systems; it uploads the file
> to a central server, and provides the user with a URL. Should I just insert
> this URL as an IM message from a user (as Yahoo's client does), or should I
> pop up a download progress box like the other plugins do?

I would go for tight integration with the KDE and Kopete APIs and not mimick
the native client here. When Kopete supports file transfer over KIO in the
future you could simply create a KIO job in the future an be done. Hmm,
thinking about that... since Jason intends to go the KIO route maybe you
should indeed just show the URL and don't integrate at all, as it would be a
considerable effort for no good reason as it will be obsolete soon again :)

--
Martijn