List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] kdenonbeta/kopete/protocols
From:       Daniel Stone <dstone () trinity ! unimelb ! edu ! au>
Date:       2003-01-02 22:51:41

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:46:10PM +0100, Daniel Stone scrawled:
> CVS commit by dstone:
>
> CCMAIL: kopete-devel@mail.kde.org, jaymz@artificial-stupidity.net
>
> Removing the deprecated TOC protocol in favour of OSCAR, which actually
> works.
>
> TOC is:
> a) losing features day by day (yes, features are actually *disappearing*),
> b) often broken (many login troubles can be traced down to TOC breakage),
> c) superseded by OSCAR, which we have a perfectly fine library for,
> d) not used by any serious IM client but ours, making us somewhat of a
>    joke among the IM world (you have no idea the amount of shit I got until
>    Kopete got OSCAR support, and still do because TOC's still there),
> e) useless.

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 07:28:02PM -0300, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett scrawled:
> Hi everybody
> We (Kopete) have  already an OSCAR plugin to connect AIM network that works
> very well, there are people that wants we Kopete Developers to continue
> shipping the TOC version since it uses a "open" protocol. We don't have
> enough developers ( just 20 :-) ) to maintain both plugins.
>
> If there are somebody who wants to maintain it from now, just write to the
> list and tell us.

Also see http://gaim.sf.net/aol.shtml; TOC is more or less useless, and
we have OSCAR. I personally think it should be removed.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne