List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Idea: KURLs / KIO Slave for Kopete file transfers?
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2002-12-12 21:28:15

>Since slaves are external processes (AFAIK in-process slaves still aren't
>supported yet) I wonder how you'd do the coding side of things. A pipe to the
>Kopete plugin?

I did not know that in process slaves weren't supported yet.

A simple way to do it would just be to have the IO slave download a local copy
of the file then have Kopete send that, but this seems foolish. Perhaps the
file transfer code could just be left in Kopete, but have the actual
transfers done via a KIO slave, with the slave passing the file data to
kopete via a DCOP channel?

Till's idea for a user directory could be neat... like going to kopete://
would bring up a directory structure of metacontacts. Then
kopete://contactname brings up a structure listing the protocols for that
user (Maybe some other "files" as well, such as an addressbook vcard?!). If
you want to send a file to a user, you would just "copy" it to either his
metacontact "folder" (Kopete then chooses protocol to send with), or copy it
to his protocol "folder", in which case Kopete will use that protocol to
deliver it
--
Jason Keirstead, BCS
http://www.keirstead.org