List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Serialization
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-29 9:00:11

On Friday 29 November 2002 00:08, Till Gerken wrote:
> just a quick idea I had: since some people complain about incorrect
> character encoding/decoding of Kopete, what do you think about having the
> serialize functions return a QStringList and then let libkopete deal with
> correct encoding and saving?

Sounds horribly broken to me.

Qt and KDE are unicode and so should libkopete be. The only places where I
consider non-unicode strings ok is _IMMEDIATELY_ before they are sent over a
wire that doesn't understand unicode (IRC, ICQ, ...) or saved to a file that
is read by other applications that don't understand unicode.

Every other occurrence of a non-unicode string in Kopete is a bug as far as
I'm concerned that should be fixed, not worked around by moving the encoding
stuff deep into libkopete (where it can and likely will cause similar bugs as
well anyway).

--
Martijn