List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: kdenonbeta/kopete/protocols/icq_new
From:       Stefan Gehn <sgehn () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-11-02 17:01:36

Evening or similar,
On Samstag November 2 2002 16:38, Nick Betcher wrote:
> On Saturday 02 November 2002 08:52 am, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> >
> > So changing utf8() into latin1() would indeed solve the problems for most
> > people. I still wonder what encoding ICQ sends over the wire though,
> > apparently it's not utf8 like e.g. MSN does. :(
> >
> > Stefan/Nick: any comments?
>
> That's wierd. It could be the ICQ server's fault. I guess I'll switch it to
> latin1 (if someone hasn't already)

The encoding depends on the other side, I think ICQMessage has a field for
that but I don't know if libicq or the real packet sets it. Look at sim and
you'll see that you can set an encoding for _every_ contact so I assume ICQ
has no idea about encodings and clients just send what their current
system-encoding is.
For now we are safe by using latin1 as this is what most europeans and
americans use but for a release we need a proper fix (i.e. converting things
on receive/send however that should be done).

Bye, Stefan
--
sgehn@gmx.net | ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein