List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Away-Messages
From:       Daniel Stone <dstone () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-30 21:26:25

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 10:16:25PM +0300, Gav Wood wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> >On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 12:35:49PM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> >
> >>I think it's bad design too if you can go away in a single protocol. Does
> >>it make sense at all to have that option?
> >

> >Of course it does. Remember, of course, that *every* *single* *protocol*
> >has different away levels; MSN, for instance, has Away, BRB, Gone, DND,
> >Out to Lunch, etc. Also, often I feel like talking to hackers, but not
> >school people, so I'll set MSN away, and leave Jabber online.
>
> surely that's not really a solid argument - the protocol should not
> define what people you can converse on it.
>
> if you only talk to hackers on jabber then that's fine but hardly i
> general situation. i myself treat all protocols as equal and thus have
> all sorts of people on all sorts of protocols.

Oh, definitely. I'm not arguing against this, but it just so happens
that I have no school contacts on any other protocol other than MSN. I
do have a few hackers on MSN, but they're also on other protocols (e.g.
Jabber and ICQ). That's all, it's just a semi-coincidence.

> a far better way of doing this is to tag individual contacts as school
> people/hackers and allowing to have an "away" set for each type of
> individuals.
>
> essentially, i'm saying that to be "away" is a property of the user, not
> the protocol and thus should be abstracted accross kopete proper, not
> each individual protocol.
>
> however, your point of having multiple levels of "away-ness" is just,
> and such functionality must also be enabled to take advantage of this.
> however surely this is no reason to (potentially) confuse users who dont
> really understand the concept of multiple protocols by allowing one
> protocol to be away and another not, thus appearing available to some
> (seemingly arbitrary) set of users and away to others.

I'd love to see a protocol which allows you to do this.

--
Daniel Stone	   <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>   http://raging.dropbear.id.au
KDE Developer	   <dstone@kde.org>	                      http://www.kde.org