List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Contact List overhaul
From:       Daniel Stone <dstone () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-02 10:16:32

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 05:39:15AM -0400, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
> >  - contacts can be agregated into some "metacontacts", which will represent
> > a physical person. for example, if a friend of mine uses msn, aim and icq,
> > i'll be able to aggregate those 3 into one "metacontact".
>
> This is the first thing we should do.
> Kopete should be able to add people, and even you should be able to associate
> info with the person, ie: picture, etc
>
> When you add a contact using a plugin, the add dialog should ask which Kopete
> meta person is this, so the plugin can associate it, I think Kopete should
> not store plugin data, just meta contact data, and the plugin should store
> the id of the person for every contact it have stored,
> then, if a contact goes online, the plugin should tell Kopete that the
> metaperson is online in his protocol, and Kopete, in a consistent way should
> be able to present all information in whatever way the users want ie: 1 list
> entry per person, no matter how many protocols is this person in, grouped by
> person but distinguish between protocols, or just separated like used to.

See JabberContact/JabberResource for a reasonably sane implementation of
the same; should be very easy to port the Resource stuff to
KopeteContacts. It has functions to pick the best resource, choose and
hold an active resource, ...

--
Daniel Stone	   <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>   http://raging.dropbear.id.au
KDE Developer	   <dstone@kde.org>	                      http://www.kde.org