List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] BUGS (do you hate me yet martijn ?)
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-30 21:34:31

On Thursday 30 May 2002 23:17, Andres Krapf wrote:
>     - reproducible crash, caused by msn deleting contacts (or so i think)
> go online with msn, open a chatwindow, go offline, talk to the guy. boom. i
> don't know if the fix should go in msn or in libkopete.
>     [Unassigned] [Pending]

Grmbll, I knew this one would blow one time or another, I just hoped it
wouldn't in the release...

As you're perfectly right, MSN deletes all contacts when going offline. KMM is
left with a dangling pointer. Why do you think I came back to your original
idea of using a QString contactId() instead of a pointer in KMM? :-)

I would like a temporary fix in libkopete, because a fix in MSN would require
a *LOT* of reworking and I wanted to address the problem in 0.5 by redoing
the contact list completely. Not a good incentive to start hacking around MSN
I'd say...

If a contact is deleted the associated QListViewItem is removed as well, so
apparently libkopete knows about the deletion. At this point KMM should be
notified and remove any occurences of the KopeteContact from its list.

And I won't code this today, I'm going to bed a bit earlier (read: after
hitting 'Send')...

Martijn

PS: As MSN deletes contacts most often you probably see the problem there
most. But when deleting a contact from your contact list with an active chat
you would see the same problem. Another reason to fix this in libkopete...