List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [Kopete-devel] 0.4 release
From:       Andres Krapf <dae () chez ! com>
Date:       2002-05-18 15:06:23

hi everybody,

thanks to the Martijn's excellent work, the KMM branch is no more. it's been
merged back into head. if you were following KMM_BRANCH, you're now invited to
cd /whatever/kopete
make clean
find . -name "Makefile.am" | xargs -n1 rm -f
cvs update -A
make

this means that we'll soon be able to release the upcoming kopete 0.4. we've
talked it over with Martijn on irc, and here's what has come out of the
discussion:

 * 0.4 goals:
  1/ KMM usage for all plugins (except irc)
  2/ no feature regressions from 0.3.
      ie, all features of 0.3 should be in 0.4.

goal 1/ has already been accomplished! good work guys :-)
goal 2/ is almost there. that's why we should start to think about release.

 * release plan - two weeks timeframe:
  - NOW (18/05/2002): feature freeze on libkopete. libkopete (with the hack
for icq's sendthroughserver) already supports almost everything needed for
goal 2/ (no regression). what is missing:
   + color picking support (was in msn v0.3)
   + aim warnings (was in aim v0.3)

   except for those two items, the only patches/commits to libkopete should be
bugfixes. whatever modifications you got on your local tree should be kept
there until after the release.

 - 1 WEEK LATER (25/05/2002): feature freeze on the plugins as well. only
bugfixes should be commited. this is where we want to concentrate on testing
and bugfixing.

 - 2 WEEKS LATER (01/06/2002): release - yippie :-)

once again, this doesn't mean you have to stop developing sexy things for 2
weeks. just don't commit them, so that we can release a stable (we hope)
version.

NOTE: about color picking and aim warnings: if anybody wants to take those on,
please let it be known so as to avoid duplication of effort.

Cheers,

--
Andres