List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] [Long] next release
From:       Andres Krapf <dae () chez ! com>
Date:       2002-04-29 20:25:12

On Monday 29 April 2002 21:48, Martijn Klingens wrote:

> would make the code more complex and error prone. Adding the basic data
> manipulation methods in the KMM stuffs code in a class where it technically
> doesn't belong and in the end either gives you zillions of helper methods
> or requires you to make the data structure public anyway for more complex
> operations. Either of which again is error prone and complicates code.

i'm not proposing to put anything in the KMM. i was proposing to add a search
method to the ContactList (which could be implemented with a QMap...)

> 3. UniqueId is clearly a hack to work around the problem of id's that might
> not be strings. Putting this all inside the protocol not only avoids the
> hack, but even the problem that made the hack sort of necessary in the
> first place.

i don't see it as a hack, rather as an abstraction of the unique-id concept
(which all protocols have). but it's personal views... let's just drop this.

> Bottom line: start refactoring a plugin and you learn as you go.
> Second bottom line: that takes more time.
> Third bottom line: it's extremely well worth it.

i believe all this is true, i'm just not really interested in refactoring the
plugins right now. i'm more concerned with functionality (this doesn't mean i
like bad designs... just that right now, functionality is what drives me).
you can always refactor later...

> Well, I obviously prefer to fix the way the list is managed, but that might
> not be very easy to do. The other solution, as I pointed out, is to indeed
> use the UniqueId hack, but *only* inside the protocol and not expose it
> outside. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

i'd go for that. except i can't... how do i get a list of all the contacts ?
it's hidden inside contactlist. and don't tell me i should track them myself
:-).

> And I don't see the difference between KopeteContact->MSNContact casting or
> KopeteUniqueId->MSNUniqueId casting, besides extra logic, code, complexity
> and more.

well, you're right here :-)

cheers,

--