List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] [Long] next release
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-29 13:24:16

On Monday 29 April 2002 15:01, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
> That would mean adding userID to KopeteContact, and was you who told me to
> remove it, and I agree userID should not be there, but you need it anyway
> to serialize it ( unless you do like contact->serialize( "someid@lal.org");
> )

Huh????

No...

The contact saving code does the following:

void saveContact( KopeteContact *c )
{
  KConfig *conf;

  conf->writeStringEntry( "Nickname", c->nickname() );
  conf->writeStringEntry( "Groups", c->groups() );
  conf->writeStringEntry( "PluginData", c->serialize() );
}

and the restore code does the reverse of that.

(Note that serialize is a void function, it just serializes the WHOLE object,
not single fields! If you know Delphi, it's modeled a bit after the
ultra-powerful TPersistent streaming methods, though with a simpler API,
because we don't need that much functionality. )

Very elegant solution if you ask me :-)

Martijn