List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] [Long] next release
From:       Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <duncan () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-29 13:01:27

That would mean adding userID to KopeteContact, and was you who told me to
remove it, and I agree userID should not be there, but you need it anyway to
serialize it ( unless you do like contact->serialize( "someid@lal.org"); )

Cheers
Duncan

El Monday 29 April 2002 09:02, Martijn Klingens escribió:
> > I dont like Trillian's approach too much, I prefer server side contacts.
> > Trillian approach breaks the rule of plugins.
> > Trillian contact list is basically a XML file like
> >
> > <contact id="lala@lala.org" protocol="msn">Duncan</contact>
> >
> > In this cae protocol would be ilegal in Kopete, because Kopete is
> > now knowing about plugins.
>
> This is not entirely true. Well, in the Trillian approach it is, but we can
> do better than that ;-)
>
> I proposed to you on IRC before two methods to KopeteContact:
>
> virtual QString KopeteContact::serialize() const = 0;
>
> and
>
> virtual void KopeteContact::deSerialize( const QString &data ) = 0;
>
> With those two Kopete can ask the plugin to encode all relevant data in a
> string and decode it again next time, still allowing a centralized contact
> list. Too much code duplication to split contact list handling per plugin
> if you ask me, not to mention it's ugly anyway and would lead to the same
> problem we have currently with all plugins handling chats themselves.
> (Feature X is only in protocol Y, but not in Z.)
>
> Martijn

Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett     | duncan@puc.cl  |
KDE Developer              | duncan@kde.org |

http://www.mac-vicar.com   | ICQ: 31947372  |