List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] [Long] next release
From:       Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <duncan () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-29 12:30:43

El Sunday 28 April 2002 20:34, Andres Krapf escribió:
>  - one-to-one chat working well and consistently across all plugins. to
> achieve consistency, all plugins should be using the KopeteChatWindow (and
> the KMM, if possible... this brings extra stuff like queuing and
> notification for free to the plugin writers). a basic chatwindow will do,
> no need to address the KCW subclassing issue yet.

Im working with DannyS in the job to port all plugins  to kmm.
Jabber is already using it.
We are doing some API changes, KopeteMessage will be changed to
hold KopeteContacts * ( and multiple in the To: field)

Usage of KMM in plugins will be really easy, KMM will pass them the
KopeteMessage, and it will hold all contacts, so the plugin is only
responsible to remember WHO is that contact after crating it (ussually at
connection/loading time) , easily doable using a QMap or somethig.
This means the currently userID hack in KopeteContact will be removed, it is
plugins resposability to remember who is the contact it is creating without
add more limitations to Kopete API

After the plugin knows who is each KopeteContact, it just have to send the
messages.

This approach is clean, well designed, and will allow hacks like supporting
mutiuser chat in old protocols , (Im not quite sure, but doable :-) )

I would like to thanks spaze for the long discussion about this approach and
DannyS for help me to start both fixing KMM bugs and now begin this port.

We'll create a branch to do the kopetemessage port and we'll try to port all
plugins.
(the branch is just because a timezone difference between DannyS and me, which
can result in unfinished work, and uncompilable states)

Cheers
Duncan

Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett     | duncan@puc.cl  |
KDE Developer              | duncan@kde.org |