List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] [Long] next release
From:       David Nielsen <Lovechild () foolclan ! com>
Date:       2002-04-29 5:52:57

Just a few words from a newbie... gimme a break, I'm read the source so I'll
be able to help out shortly..

> I think that *no* contacts should be stored locally. Why should we care,
> when we can't do anything offline? Plus, AFAIK every protocol supports
> storing the contact list on the server - Jabber does, MSN does, IRC has
> no contact list, and AIM/ICQ apparently do now.

From a user standpoint the most important things kopete offers me is
multiprotocol in one app, making my KDE desktop integrate better. The ability
to remotely store your contactlists is very cool, and the sooner we can get
this feature in the better. It's much easier for the users to keep track this
way.

> Which brings me to the next point: more frequent releases. Once we've
> got all the API changes locked in, I don't see why 0.9.x shouldn't have
> a series of dot releases leading to 1.0.0 and inclusion in kdenetwork.
> This will also help us get a lot more testing.

I most certainly agree, it bugs me that CVS has all sorts of cool stuff, but
it current, for me at least doesn't compile. So more release we grant us.

a) a more stable code base
b) direction control - instead of mindlessly adding cool feature, we make the
damn thing stable and usable
c) attention, with more releases to show the internal progress we can get to
show people what we are doing - and how cool it in fact is
d) Larger userbase

> I think consistency is essential to a good user experience, no ifs or
> buts about it.

Amen !

- David