List:       kolab-users
Subject:    Re: Help / Advice: hints on "email archiving"?
From:       Liutauras Adomaitis <adomaitis () kolabsystems ! com>
Date:       2017-05-23 18:21:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On 2017 m. gegužės 23 d., antradienis 14:49:25 EEST Thomas Kleindienst wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 23. Mai 2017, 13:26:17 CEST schrieb Liutauras Adomaitis:
> > On 2017 m. gegužės 23 d., antradienis 14:06:35 EEST Thomas Kleindienst wrote:
> > > Hello list
> > > we're running a licensed Kolab instance in our small business since approx 1 ½ \
> > > years now. We're generally quite satisfied but Roundcube seems to be getting \
> > > slower and slower with an increasing amount of emails. Each user now has approx \
> > > 40-50000 mails with about 50-70Gb per user. We'd like to archive the older \
> > > mails:
>
> > Roundcube has an Archiving feature, which can be configured slightly. This \
> > feature allows user to archive (move message to Archives folder or subfolder of \
> > Archives folder) but just one click. So in that case archiving depends on user. \
> > You can configure Cyrus IMAP to have several partitions and move all users \
> > Archives folders to a less expensive (and slower) storage. Liutauras
>
> But than each "archived" mail stays inside Roundcube/Kolab/Cyrus and is still \
> included for indexing?

True.
The most "simple" work around is to suggest users to unsubscribe archives. For \
example, you can set roundcube to archive messages based on year, that will create \
folders Archive/2013, Archive/2014 and etc. Users can unsubscribe these folders and \
subscribe only when needed. That is a bit ugly, but should make roundcube job easier. \
On the other hand I think Roundcube doesn't cache folder messages if you don't go to \
that folder.

Liutauras