List:       kolab-users
Subject:    Re: integration of samba pdc with ldap backend into kolab
From:       Jan Kowalsky <jankow () datenkollektiv ! net>
Date:       2016-11-22 22:35:12

Am 21.11.2016 um 19:16 schrieb Geoff Nordli:
> =

> =

> On 2016-11-21 06:34 AM, Carlos R Laguna wrote:

>>> Hi Jan.
>>>
>>> Yes, that would be very helpful.  I am just embarking on setting up a
>>> new system with Samba 4 as an Active Directory DC and will also be
>>> deploying Kolab 16.1 when it becomes available.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Geoff

>> Hi Geoff,
>>
>> Last time i check samba4 does not use ldap as backend anymore, how
>> would you plan to use samba4 as kolab primary backend ?
>>

> =

> Hi Carlos.
> =

> It has been a while since I have done samba work.  I haven't used Samba4
> yet and I didn't know it shipped with its own internal ldap server.
> =

> Have you tried integrating the two together?
> =

> It seems like I will have to create two silos, or maybe look at using
> the older 3.x version.

Hi Goff,

as Carlos wrote, it's not possible to use an external ldap backend for
samba4 - if you use it as an AD. But if a PDC is sufficiant it works. So
- to avoid misunderstandings - it's samba4 - but not with AD. My
question was indeed related to this point: how people use samba.
Primarily as AD replacement - or still with less functionality as PDC.

If you need AD, there have been some earlier posts on the list with the
suggestion to use sync tools like LSC.

Regard
Jan