List:       kolab-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kolab-devel] [xsd-users] Bug: failure to convert string to int
From:       Till Adam <adam () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-02-09 22:35:12

Folks,

just to follow up on this:

On Jan 28, 2013, at 3:03 PM, Till Adam wrote:

> thanks for checking out the bug.
>
> On Jan 28, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Boris Kolpackov wrote:
>
> > Till Adam <adam@kde.org> writes:
> >
> > > I seem to have stumbled upon a rather low level bug in libxsd on OSX Lion.
> >
> > I tried to reproduce the bug on 10.8 and 10.3 (I don't have access to
> > 10.7) without any success. I tried 32/64, g++/clang++, optimized/non-
> > optimized combinations and they all seem to work fine.
>
> Weird, but encouraging, at least as far as 10.8 is concerned. I'll see if I can \
> test on that.
> > It is also not clear what happens when the test fails. Does it crash?
> > Does it print a wrong value? If it crashes, would you be able to get
> > the stack trace?
>
> No, it does not crash, it simply prints 0, for the value of year. It seems to \
> magically find an empty buffer, from what I can tell.
> I'll see if I can get more information. If someone else could confirm that it fails \
> for them on 10.7, I would be grateful.

Frank and I did a bit more research and found by trial error that the bug only \
manifests with a certain version of Xcode (the one for Mountain Lion), only on Lion, \
only with g++. There was an Xcode update a few days ago, for Lion, which seems to \
resolve the issue provided one uses clang. So hopefully I just hit a bad time window, \
with a broken combination of OS/STL/compiler. That said, there are a bunch of bugs in \
this area on OSX, most can be mitigated by using deployment targets <=10.5, \
undefining _GLIBCXX_DEBUG or using clang, rather than c++. Just thought I'd post this \
result here, for documentation's sake, there does not seem to be anything xsd can or \
should do to help with these issues (other than building out of the box with clang, \
there's a still a tiny patch needed, but that's a known issue, I believe.

Thanks again,

Till