List:       kolab-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kolab-devel] New attributeType kolabTargetFolder for objectClass kolabSharedFolder
From:       Martin Konold <martin.konold () erfrakon ! de>
Date:       2012-03-07 20:47:48

Am Mittwoch, 7. M=E4rz 2012, 18:38:46 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen:

Hi Jeroen,

> entries the kolabSharedFolder objectClass.

> With a kolabTargetFolder

> Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Gripes?

I think you gave a very valid rational for the need of such an attribute in =

large organisations. =

Some comments though:

1. Did you consider to use a kolab group account in order to fullfill the =

requirement?

2. I prefer to call these folders "public folders" today instead of "shared =

folders".

Rational: Shared folders are folders of individual or group users which car=
ry =

ACLs which grant access to other users/groups beyond the owner. =

(Yes I am aware of the fact that I wrongly introduced this term in Kolab.)

3. I am in general fine with adding the new attribute kolabTargetFolder to =
the =

objectclass kolabSharedFolder.

4. The definition of the new attribute should imho be improved because it i=
s =

hard to fix it later.

+attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.19414.2.1.8
+  NAME 'kolabTargetFolder'
+  DESC 'Target for a Kolab Shared Folder delivery'
+  EQUALITY caseIgnoreIA5Match
+  SUBSTR caseIgnoreIA5SubstringsMatch
+  SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26{256}
+  SINGLE-VALUE )

I think that limiting the names of the target folders to ASCII is not a goo=
d =

idea (IMAP already allows many non ASCII chars) and doing non case sensitiv=
e =

matches is not suitable. Instead I propose to allow for all valid IMAP =

foldernames and do case sensitive matches. With regards to matching I want =
to =

refer to the newest LDAP RFCs.

I think 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15{512} would be fine but it would requi=
re =

that you change the syntax slightly as the Directory String does not allow =

zero-length strings. On the other hand PrintableCharacter or =

PrintableCharacter might be alternatives. =

Proposal (based on Directory String):

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.19414.2.1.8
  NAME 'kolabTargetFolder'
  DESC 'Target for a Kolab Shared Folder delivery'
  EQUALITY caseExactMatch
  SUBSTR caseExactSubstringsMatch
  SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15{512}
  SINGLE-VALUE )

Please also check with RFC 3501 "5.1.3.  Mailbox International Naming =

Convention" which refers to RFC 2152 (UTF-7). =

While the encoding of a Directory String is UTF-8 of course IMAP requires a =

conversion to UTF-7 whenever an IMAP mailbox (i.e. a folder) is refered.

(I am not aware that OpenLDAP direclty supports a UTF-7 string syntax)

The requirement for case sensitive matches can be dropped according to =

IMAP4rev1 but I think that the future will be case sensitive IMAP mailbox =

names.

Regards,
-- martin
 =

-- =

--  =

e r f r a k o n
Sitz: Adolfstra=DFe 23, 70469 Stuttgart, Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart P=
R 126
http://www.erfrakon.com/