List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: http://bugs.kde.org/db/31/31610.html
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-08-28 21:23:11

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 09:32:26PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> On Mardi 28 Ao?t 2001 21:35, Thomas Zander wrote:

> > > You mean, knowing how many times a document was opened (and maybe on which hosts) ?
> > > Hmm, indeed. What should we do then ? Forbid external links completely (since at
> > > the moment it's not possible to create one from the GUI) ? Or maybe ask the
> > > user every time, when the link is external and not local (not file:/) ?
> > >

> > If url != file:// and
> >   username != documentinfo.username and
> >   document.username != "root"
> > then
> >     ask user permission to go on internet to fetch external file.
>
> Why those username checks ?

If I am the author I don't want to be asked every time I open a document
if I'm ok with fetching an external file.

> What if I send a document to someone named
> David Faure (or dfaure) ? Do you mean $USER, the documentinfo's fields
> (which belong to a document, not to a host), or the global emailsettings config ?
> In any case this doesn't look very reliable to me.....

username in my example is either the
    getpwuid(getuid())->pw_name  or the
    getpwuid(getuid())->pw_gecos
string.
i.e. the loginname or realname of the user that is currently logged in

If implemented correctly, this info will be present in KDE, and subsequently
entered in the documentinfo of the current document.

In full text;
if there are external files in the current document and
the document is not written by the current user and
the current user is not some name as common as 'root'
then warn the user about the external files thing.

And yes if I sent you a document with author == 'dfaure' there are chances
you are able to open the doc, and thus this external file, without warning.

But is that a problem? We are not going to see any marketing droids sending
personalized documents becuase they want to find out how many people opened
the document with their link in there, right?

Maybe you might want to always show a dialog for kio slaves we don't know
about (yet) or we know are not secure for this kind of thing.