List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Creating a sub-menu "Encoding" in "View"
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-08-22 23:31:45

On Wednesday, 22. August 2001 23:15, Thomas Zander wrote:

Thank you for your answer!

> You made 2 mistakes;

No, I do not think so. I have thought that it would not be accepted. I have
just wanted to have it "black on white" for the bug reporter.

> first a imput filter can have a dialog, take a look at the kspread CSV
> import filter for an example.

I know that! Please look at KWord's HTML filters! The import dialog is
even different from the export one!

> Second, its completely out of scope for kword to have an encoding inside
> the program; the encoding will only be used with a small number of input
> filters. You are proposing something like we put the gasoline-input point
> in the dashboard, its does not belong there.

Okay, that was what I wanted to have: an argument from the global view over
KWord. The arguments I had were only centered on the HTML filters and
therefore not very worthy. It is the reason why I did not write any argument
in my first mail.

> The correct solve is to have a better checking (possibly visual) for the
> encoding inside the input filter. Put this on your TODO list :)

It is already on my TODO list! And already provisory done for HTML import.
For export, I need QT3.

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 10:44:29PM +0200, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > During the discussion on KDE Bug #30619 (Not all HTML files correctly
> > opens from Kword), the suggestion has been made to introduce a sub-menu
> > called "Encoding" in the "View" menu, as in Konqueror or in KMail. The
> > proposition was also to re-load the current file using the new selected
> > encoding
> >
> > Please look at http://bugs.kde.org/db/30/30619.html !
> >
> > As this idea would influence KWord and all KWord's filters (or may be
> > even other KOffice programs and their filters), I am forwarding this idea
> > to the koffice-devel mailing list.

Have a nice day/evening/night!