List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Daniel.Vogelheim@germany.sun.com: Re: [office_standards] Structured file formats / Packaging]
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-08-16 22:05:21

In my opinion, we should better break KOffice's file formats now, as long
as there are no (or very few?) other programs that can read or write any of
the current file formats. Having a common base on ZIP could even ease the
creation of import/export filters of other programs, because no programmer
would have to worry anymore about how to handle .tar.gz files but would be
able to use the support of his own package.

The other problem in delaying is that we would need not only to support
KOffice 1.1. If we have just a version to support, we could perhaps make a
back-port and we could offer a KOffice 1.1.1 with ZIP possibility (at least
at reading.)

Have a  nice day/evening/night!