On Monday 30 July 2001 00:52, David Faure wrote: > Done. The one thing this brings forward is that we need to know the > size of the data before hand, it's needed in the TAR header. Well, otherwise > we have to implement "going back in the stream and writing the size", a bit > of a problem with a compressed stream... It's actually more than problematic, it appears to be impossible.... ZEXTERN z_off_t ZEXPORT gzseek OF((gzFile file, z_off_t offset, int whence)); /* [....] If the file is opened for reading, this function is emulated but can be extremely slow. If the file is opened for writing, only forward seeks are supported; gzseek then compresses a sequence of zeroes up to the new starting position. */ What we want here is a backward seek when writing :( I'm afraid we have to buffer the data when we don't know its size. At least with this new change we can write big known files by small chunks. -- David FAURE, david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/ KDE, Making The Future of Computing Available Today _______________________________________________ Koffice-devel mailing list Koffice-devel@master.kde.org http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel