List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kspell bug
From:       Christian Gebauer <gebauer () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-14 23:00:18

On Thursday 12 July 2001 11:16, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Just open an empty document and type "$ sdlfkj sdlfkj we rsdlrkjwer",
> > the spellchecker will close immediatly.
> >
> > As I said, I (and the bugreporter) have the same problem in all
> > KDE-applications (kedit, kmail, knode, kate ..)
> >
> > My language is english(us) / "C", charset: iso-8859-1, ispell 3.1.20,
> > english dictionary.
>
> some fast info;
> - said text in a text file and run ispell, works fine.
> - said text in kword, has said problem.
> - move the '$' 2 words to the right, and 2 words are checked, then it
> stops. - the problem is in English, German and Dutch (only languages I
> have)

Ok, according to the ispell author its a known ispell bug:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ispell+dollar&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=4&ic=1&selm=3v3nnt%24tvv%40saba.info.ucla.edu

ispell simply freezes when it encounters the dollar sign in the
non-interactive mode.

The strange think is that all major distributions seem to ship
ispell 3.1.20 from 1995. I hope they include a patch for this problem...
(the rpm included in SuSE 7.0 is broken)

Greetings
Christian