List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    kspread DTD && export filters
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-07-08 9:19:23

I and others here at LinuxTag were wondering about the filter structure,
first I said that its best to use the filter call that takes an XML file as
input, and not the KoDocument one, because of compatability issues.
(donīt want to update the filter every time I make a change in the
application.)

Am I right in this? Why isnīt it/could I not find it  in the filter FAQ?

Next, the kspread DTD saves the cell as text, the text can be things like
  =sum(A1:B1)
or
  MyValue

I am wondering why the formula is not calculated and saved as well, since
this is needed for lots of export filters (html for example).

The best solve IMO is to add a formula tag to the dtd where this is saved, but
this is not backwards compatible, (or better said, old programs canīt read
the new files)

Does anyone have a problem with adding a value to the ī<CELL><TEXT>ī hierarchy
something like;
 <CELL value="70"><Text>=30+40</text></cell>

This naturally means a change in the frozen application KSpread, but its
very isolated, and will mean that filters can be coded more effeciently
with recent versions of kspread :)