List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Adobe and KIllustrator
From:       Kent Nguyen <kent () mslinux ! com>
Date:       2001-07-02 15:19:04

> "Illustrator" is a man (woman) which makes illustrations. (Graphic Artist,
> in general).  Probably, Oxford Dictionary can describe it more correctly,
> that's how I understand it.
> Even I can name myself "illustrator" when I making illustrations.
> By the way, there is a Corel Draw.
> Do you think that naming Killu as "KDraw" will bring you problems from
> Corel? Com'on, no way!

"Draw" has been used in many similiar product to Corel Draw such as
Real-Draw, Auto Draw, Quick Draw, Tiger Draw, Draw Tite, Draw Computing
Associates, Triple Play Draw Poker, and the list goes on. :)

The word "Draw" is a common word and cannot be trademarked, much like the
word "Word".  "Illustrator" should be the same.  But somehow it got through
the trademark system.

I'm surprised the trademark system allows "Illustrator" to be trademarked.
"Illustrator" is too common of a word.  The proper trademark to Adobe
situation should be "Adobe Illustrator" not "Illustrator".

--kent