List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Adobe and KIllustrator
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-07-02 15:02:48

On Monday 02 July 2001 13:14, Thomas Zander wrote:
|   On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 01:29:51PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
|   > On Monday 02 July 2001 09:27, Kai-Uwe Sattler wrote:
|   > > Hi,
|   > > I have just received a dissuasion from an Adobe lawyer that the name
|   > > "KIllustrator" would violate Adobe's trademark and I should pay 2500
|   > > euro. So, I have closed the website at the moment. Could somebody
|   > > with access to koffice.org remove all information about and links to
|   > > Killu, please?
|   > >
|   > :(( F*c*ing trademarks.
|   >
|   > What about renaming instead of removing ?
|   > That would be less work (all in one step instead of removing and then
|   > re-adding with a new name), and users wouldn't wonder where killu has
|   > gone ! veKtor sounds fine to me, although it might look too German to
|   > some ;), Hmmmmmmm...
|   > www.vektor.com : Vektor - The World's Leading Language Solutions
|   > Company www.vektor-bass.de : Vektor-Germany Studio f?r Kontrab?sse
|   > Studio for Double http://www.denel.co.za/vektor/ : A divison of
|   > "Denel", who makes military products (ouch).
|   >
|   > Just how are people supposed to name their stuff, now that all names
|   > have been taken ? :(
|
|   Well, its no problem to name a program something like vektor because the
|   goals of the company and the software are completely different.
|   In the case of KIllustrator and Illustrator Adobe has a point, the name
| is similar and the goal is the same.

Well, not completely this is a case.
Otherwise, Coca-Cola (The Real Thing (tm)) already bankcrupted Pepsi Co.
Pepsi-Cola is quite similar to Coca-Cola (and it is not The Real Thing at
all).
Besides, there is a Hershey-Cola, god-knows-what-Cola, etc.

"Illustrator" is a man (woman) which makes illustrations. (Graphic Artist, in
general).  Probably, Oxford Dictionary can describe it more correctly, that's
how I understand it.
Even I can name myself "illustrator" when I making illustrations.
By the way, there is a Corel Draw.
Do you think that naming Killu as "KDraw" will bring you problems from Corel?
Com'on, no way!
There is no way to trademark "generic" names.
"Illustrator" is not "SONY" or "VAIO" (Sony's brand for computers). And it's
not a Volvo or Saab.
I think Adobe can't claim any ownership about general name, which Illustrator
is "AS IS".
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)