List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: patch: correct sentence count
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-06-29 8:22:32

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 10:06:05PM +0200, Lennart Kudling wrote:
> On Thursday 28 June 2001 18:01, Stefan Schimanski wrote:
> > On Thursday 28 June 2001 14:54, Daniel Naber wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > trivial patch, will apply if nobody objects.
> > >
> > > What to do about things like "e.g.", this is currently taken as the end
> > > of a sentence (even two). Can we assume that a sentence only starts if it
> > > ends in a dot and a space? Any languages where this would fail?
> >
> > Yes, even in German: "etc." or "evtl.". There are plenty of those
> > abbreviations looking like sentence endings.
>
> Why does "dot followed by a space" fail for these examples?

B/c all abbriviations end with a dot and need a space to follow them to
go to the next word. I.e. this sentence, which has 2 abbr. should be counted
as one, but is counted as 3.

AND end of parag means; there does not follow a space. Meaning that this parag
has only one sentence, not 2.

But the last sentence I don't know if your patch looks for, since I did not
look at the code.