List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Is there a way for a KWord import filter to insert a TOC?
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2001-06-22 19:57:10

Hi David,

> > Is there a way for an import filter to insert a TOC? I think the answer
> > is no...something to think about post 1.1 - possibly via a variable?
>
> Hmm the answer is yes, simply create the "Contents Title"
> and "Contents Head N" styles, and use them to create the TOC.

Well, it would be hard for me to work out the page numbers!

> Ok, this basically means doing it by hand... Do you mean that msword
> docs simply say "put a toc here", without any details ? I thuught it
> had all the text of it, since it's possible to "hack" that text in msword
> too.

Yes, it does exactly that. You can edit the text of a field, but you will
loose the edits if you press F9!

In fact, for the next version of Kword, I think we should give some serious
thought to variables. Multi-line variables would be useful for the dynamic
variables I proposed, for the KCite stuff, and for a TOC (and later TOF,
Index etc.) variables.

> It's not a variable in kword, it's generated text [because I don't see a
> way to support multi-lines variables yet]. But if you want, we could add an
> xml tag for "generate a toc here".

Rather than a TOC-specific hack, lets work out a generic solution (post 1.1!).

Thanks, Shaheed