List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: small wishes for the kword file format
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-06-18 23:51:27

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 11:27:38PM +0200, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> last week I started writing a longer text with kword, it's cool :-)
>
> Since the kword files are basically xml, I thought it would be simple to take
> the file home where a really old slow box is standing around (486DX2/80) and
> to edit the xml file directly.
>
> I had some small issues:
>
> -the xml file would be much easier to read with empty lines before the

Get an xml reader, or use Vim6 with folding ;)

> -many paragraphs have exactly the same layout
> maybe it would be possible to avoid many of the <layout>....</layout> blocks
> I see two ways, either if one <paragraph> has no <layout> block, use the same
> which would state explicitely to use the same layout as the previous
> paragraph. This would make the file smaller and make it easier to edit it
> manually.

Possibly, but the extra intelligence needed in the interpreter would make
the advantage null.
Extra intelligence is extra bugs and extra problems in the filters etc. etc.

> -if a paragraph has a layout listed in <styles>, it has a
> <name value="Standard" /> tag. But the complete <format> block follows,
> although the style "Standard" is completely defined in <styles>

The format block defines which parts of the text override the style. So you
can have a lot of formats for one parag.
Are there empty formats? Then these should not be created.

> -does the <format> tag for paragraphs really need the "len" parameter ?
> if editing the xml file manually, it is quite impossible to count the
> characters.  And the length is simply the number of all characters inside
> <text>

No, if you make 1 char bold then len =1.
Look at the DTD for explenation

> -what happens to line breaks (\n) contained inside <text>.....</text> ?
> I think they should be stripped.

Ehh, you found that? can't be. Or are they used for something since I checked? ;)

> And one last thing, if I select a style from the style combobox (e.g. Header
> 1), the style is always applied to the whole paragraph. It woduld be nice if
> the style would be applied to the whole paragraph if no text is selected, and
> only to the selected text if there is text selected.
> Then we could also have styles like "Code", "Emphasize", "Quote" and so on.

That is something for text-styles, which we may add later.