List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Future (KIllustrator, Karbon)
From:       Lennart Kudling <lennart () kudling ! de>
Date:       2001-06-08 18:33:51

> In killu for the basic geometric objects exist single classes derived from
> GObject (e.g. GOval, GPolygon and so on). I think this should remain to
> avoid the subtle differences Lenny just mentioned. I think it would be

Hm, actually i thought these issues could be considered reasons to drop them.

> possible to create another one (maybe the last one) new derived class from
> GObject (don't hit me, lenny ;-), and this object would implement Lenny's
> code, e.g. all these bezier/merging/cutting and so on functions.

I hope everybody knows that i didnt implement the intersection-stuff yet. :}
But they are very high on my todo.

> Now if I create a simple circle internal a GOval is created, I can do e.g.
> the "corel draw pie manip." with it, I create a rect, internal a GPolygon,
> I can do rectangle specific things with it. Now when I select "cut one
> object from the other" this can't be done very simple (I think) with the
> GOval and the GPolygon. So every of the existing basic objects would have
> to provide a method, which returns itself converted into the new GObject
> class from Lenny, which supports all this stuff.
>
> I think this would fit not so bad into killu.

Yes, but from an esthetic pov, i dont like these shape-classes. And as yet
another sidenote: in general i have the impression that most killu-interfaces
are rather fat than slim.

> Of course there are also a bunch of other things to fix in killu, what
> comes to my mind first is the grid/ruler/object drawing.

I have to confess: i dont know yet how we could change much without breaking
backwards-compatibility or breaking killu alltogether. :(

PS: i will still implement some ideas in karbon in the near future, but that
doesnt mean i will forget about our mid-term goal.