List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Future (KIllustrator, Karbon)
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       2001-06-08 11:41:55

On Friday 08 June 2001 09:28, Lenny wrote:
> > > b) ellipses and rectangles and stars and any-shape-you-can-think-of...
> > > are just paths and not special in any way.
> >
> > Yes and it is good to mention here that the user will not really see a
> > difference in usage. If any it will mean he can suddenly do more with an
> > object.
>
> Yes, apparently that's right, but it can be very subtle. Think about a
> user importing a file, which includes a bezier-circle and a ... well
> ... circle-circle. Both might look identical, but behave very
> different. E.g. you can't change the radius of the bezier-circle
> or do your beloved corel-draw pie-manipulation directly.

Yes, exactly.

> As a side note: in my experience, pure circles/rectangles dont exist
> much longer than 1 second after being created in 99.999% of all
> cases. After that they get merged/cutted etc. anyway.

Well, my circles often live quite long.... ;-P

I (as killu co-maintainer) already discussed with Lenny this topic on IRC. I
agree with him that killu ain't perfect in several aspects. ;-)
But I also think that killu has already a lot of working features.

I don't insist on any "dogmas" in killu. After thinking some time about the
issues brought up by Lenny, I think it would be good to merge Lennys stuff
into killu. Of course this will require changes both in his sources as in
killus sources.
In killu for the basic geometric objects exist single classes derived from
GObject (e.g. GOval, GPolygon and so on). I think this should remain to avoid
the subtle differences Lenny just mentioned. I think it would be possible to
create another one (maybe the last one) new derived class from GObject (don't
hit me, lenny ;-), and this object would implement Lenny's code, e.g. all
these bezier/merging/cutting and so on functions.
Now if I create a simple circle internal a GOval is created, I can do e.g.
the "corel draw pie manip." with it, I create a rect, internal a GPolygon, I
can do rectangle specific things with it. Now when I select "cut one object
from the other" this can't be done very simple (I think) with the GOval and
the GPolygon. So every of the existing basic objects would have to provide a
method, which returns itself converted into the new GObject class from Lenny,
which supports all this stuff.

I think this would fit not so bad into killu.

Of course there are also a bunch of other things to fix in killu, what comes
to my mind first is the grid/ruler/object drawing.

Bye
Alex