List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KPresenter - Memory use and JPEG import
From:       "Pascal A. Niklaus" <Pascal.Niklaus () unibas ! ch>
Date:       2001-06-01 3:40:21

Hi KPresenter developers,

When using KPresenter, I noted two issues that may be of interest to you
developers:

1) Importing a diagram stored as JPEG file causes KPresenter to crash - and
drkonqi is not invoked. I do not want to blame KPresenter for that - it may
well be that this is a Qt problem (I linked KDE against qt-2.3). However,
with several Windows applications open the file without any problems. If a
file format is not supported, an error message would be nice ;-).

I've stored the file under
<http://pc1-archbo.bot.unibas.ch/~pascal/KDE/RothC-2.jpg> so that you can
have a look at it.

If its a Qt problem, maybe you guys know the Qt people which may be
interested in that.

2) Although an individual presentation may be small when stored as .kpr
file, it can use an enormous amount of RAM. A 2MB .kpr file with 16
individual jpeg pictures (all compressed quite well, but all ca. 1000 x 600
pixels large) caused KPresenter to start swapping... (Memory use >150MB).
This was really the reason why the AutoSave feature locked up my computer.
I had to split my presentation into 4 different parts.

A few thoughts (without knowing about KPresenters internals): Is that
because KPresenter expands all the JPEG images when loading and stores them
in QPixMaps or similar objects? If yes, would it be possible to only
decode/expand the images which are currently needed, and maybe the ones in
the next and the previous page so that they could be accessed quickly? I
think that would allow long presentations in a single file without running
into these RAM problems.

Pascal